Transfer Student Profile: Eddie Gammon

Eddie Gammon joined the University of Washington after a career as a carpenter. In our interview, Eddie offers insight into the transfer student experience and what he hopes to get out of the degree.

Name: Eddie Gammon
Year in School: Junior
Major: Construction Management
Transferring from: Tacoma Community College

Tell me a little about yourself.

I am from Chicago Illinois and I have been married to my wife Shawn for 20 years next September. I have a 7-year-old son named Brandon. I am a veteran of the US Navy, serving during Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm from 1991-1995. In 2001 I completed the Lathing, Acoustical, Drywall Systems (LADS) Apprenticeship program at Renton Technical College where I journeyed as a carpenter, working in commercial construction until an injury forced me out of the field in 2016. I decided to use my previous experience in construction to further my career by going back to school to work on a degree in construction management to become gainfully employed.

What has your educational journey looked like prior to transferring to UW?

Prior to UW, I obtained an Associate in Business from Tacoma Community College (TCC) in 2019. Before TCC, I was a non-matriculated student at UW for the Certificate Program in Construction Management in 2008. This was proceeded by completing the LADS Apprenticeship Program at Renton Technical College. Prior to that, I graduated high school and US Navy firefighting/gunners-mate school respectively.

What influenced your decision to choose this major?

I chose Construction Management because of my previous years of employment in the field after an injury.

What has been the hardest part about transferring?

The process is not hard; it is more about becoming comfortable with new surroundings as with anything dealing with change.

What is something that surprised you about the transfer experience?

The amount of time that I spend commuting, and keeping that balance with family time has been challenging.

What has been your favorite part of the department so far?

That would be the instructors and the vast amount of knowledge within the built environments. A personal favorite is that I get to attend classes in many of the buildings that I have worked on through my twenty years working in Western Washington.

What experiences have been the most impactful for you outside the classroom?

When traditional students tell me that they respect me for returning back to school at my age.

Do you have any advice for transfer students?

Manage your studies and workload with family and friends – a healthy balance.

Currently, what are your future goals?

Graduate first and foremost, find employment, and hopefully have an opportunity to be self-employed again.