Graduate Resources

Graduate Resources

Graduate Students:  General Resource Page




Graduate Students: Continuous Enrollment Policy
To maintain graduate status, students must be enrolled on a full-time, part-time, or On-Leave status from the time of first enrollment in the Graduate School until completion of all requirements for the Master’s Degree.  Summer quarter On-Leave enrollment is automatic for all graduate students who were either registered or On-Leave the prior spring quarter.  Failure to maintain continuous enrollment constitutes evidence that the student has resigned from the Graduate School.

Graduate Students: How to Apply for On-Leave Status
Graduate students are required to maintain graduate status during their program of study. Failure to maintain this status requires reinstatement to the University of Washington. Students who desire to take a quarter or quarters off without going through the reinstatement process must apply for on-leave status for each quarter they do not register. For complete details regarding the on-leave policy, refer to Graduate School Memorandum 9.


Graduate Students: How to Return to the University
A matriculated student previously registered in the Graduate School who has failed to maintain graduate student status (on-leave status or registration) but who wishes to resume studies in their previous graduate program must submit a reinstatement request to the Graduate School.

Students approved for reinstatement must:

  • Choose the quarter of reinstatement (students can submit a reinstatement request for the current academic quarter or the next academic quarter)
  • Pay a $250 Reinstatement Fee to process their reinstatement.
  • Register for the requested Reinstatement Quarter and maintain registration throughout the entire quarter to return to active student status.

For complete details regarding the on-leave, continuous enrollment and reinstatement policies, refer to Graduate School Memorandum 9.


Graduate Students: Grade Requirements
Students must take all graduate courses for numerical grades, except CM 600 and CM 700.  A minimum grade of 2.7 must be achieved in each of these courses to count toward meeting graduation requirements.

Graduate Students: Academic Probation
Admission to the Graduate School allows students to continue graduate study and research at the University of Washington only as long as they maintain satisfactory performance and progress toward completion of their graduate degree.  Satisfactory progress in the Master’s Degree Program in Construction Management is defined as “achievement of a 3.0 GPA in all courses that are to be counted toward the 45-credit graduation requirement, except thesis or report/project credits that are graded on a credit/no credit basis”.  A minimum grade of 2.7 must be achieved in any course that is to be counted toward the 45-credit graduation requirement.  Students should complete all required coursework within three years of entry into the program.  The Graduate Program Coordinator monitors the progress of all graduate students and will formally notify those who are not making satisfactory progress.

Students whose cumulative GPA drops below 3.0 will receive a letter of warning from the Graduate Program Coordinator and given one quarter to bring their cumulative GPA to 3.0.  Students who fail to bring their cumulative GPA to 3.0 by the end of the quarter will be placed on probation and given a maximum of two quarters to correct the deficiency.  Students who fail to achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0 by the end of the two-quarter probationary period will be reported to the Dean of the Graduate School with a recommendation for final probation.  If the Dean of the Graduate School concurs with the recommendation, the student will be given one additional quarter to correct the deficiency.  If the student fails to achieve the 3.0 cumulative GPA standard at the end of the final probationary period, a recommendation will be made to the Dean of the Graduate School to drop the student from the University of Washington.  Students may appeal placement on probation or final probation to the Chairman of the Department of Construction Management.  All appeals must be in writing.