New Frontiers in Construction Conference 2016
Thank you to all who attended our 2016 Conference. It was a great success!
The events centered around six in-depth sessions, highlighting industry-academic partnerships, applied research and research and development in the following areas:
- Safety & Health Profs. Ken-Yu Lin, Giovanni Migliaccio and Edmond Seto (this year’s session to be held collaboratively with the NWCOHS, a NIOSH-funded education and research center at the UW)
- Project Delivery & Management Profs. Ahmed Abdel Aziz and Giovanni Migliaccio (i.e., Public-Private Partnerships, collaboration)
- Virtual Design & Construction Prof. Carrie Sturts Dossick (i.e., Asset information exchange, BIM in Operations, BIM for Design and Construction of Data Centers)
- Lean Construction Profs. Yong Kim and Chris Lee (i.e. Integrated Project Delivery, Contracting for Lean Delivery, and agent-based modeling)
- Sustainability in Construction – Profs. Bill Bender and Chris Lee (applied research and integration of sustainable practices in AEC industry, industry professional to discuss LEED platinum or Living Building Challenge experience)
- Infrastructure Development Prof. Kamran Nemati (Heavy civil, tunneling)
Keynote exploring the topic of Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) adoption in North America and how it combines with IT and Lean for improved project outcomes:
Renée Cheng – Architect and University of Minnesota Professor and Associate Dean of Research. Specialist in design pedagogy, emerging technologies in construction, and current innovations and trends in professional practice. Markku Allison AIA – Architect and Founder of SCAN Consulting. Award-winning designer and thought-leader on design and construction industry transformation issues.
Markku Allison, AIA – Architect and Founder of SCAN Consulting. Award-winning designer and thought-leader on design and construction industry transformation issues.
We held networking breakfasts and an extensive poster session highlighting applied research. Through an exciting partnership with BuiltWorlds, we are also offered an afternoon technology showcase with a cadre of special guests allowing the audience a chance to test drive important technologies and go
“All Hands on Tech”.
|7:30 – 8:55 a.m.||Special Breakfast Sessions [CIAC Board, Safety & Health, Owners Info. Exchange]|
|9:00 – 9:15 a.m.||Conference Welcome – Opening Remarks|
|9:15 – 10:30 a.m.||Session 1|
|A||Health & Safety|
|B||Virtual Design & Construction|
|10:45 – 12:00 p.m.||Session 2|
|A||Infrastructure/Modern Technology in Heavy Civil|
|12:00 – 12:30 p.m.||Lunch|
|12:30 – 1:30 p.m.||Posters/Exhibitor|
|1:45 – 3:00 p.m.||Session 3|
|A||Sustainability in Construction|
|3:00 – 3:45 p.m.||KEYNOTES|
|3:50 – 5:30 p.m.||Technology Showcase – “All Hands on Tech” – Happy Hour|
|Technology Showcase featuring Bluebeam, Autodesk BIM 360 and Pavia Systems as well as demonstrations from local AEC/VR Hackathon organizer/entrepreneur and Laser Scanning demo by Hoffman Construction and UW Campus Engineering.|